Keep this list handy to prepare before the next one hits.
• Bottled water (3 litres per person per day)
• Ready-to-eat non-perishables
• Manual can opener
• Disposable plates, cups and utensils, cuz you might not have water for washing
• First-aid kit
• Flashlights (more than one) and batteries
• A car charger or backup battery to keep your cell juiced
• Fire – either the lighter variety or matches
• Some basic tools (utility knife, pliers, screwdriver, duct tape, wrench) just in case you find yourself confronting a MacGyver situation
• If you have a pet, don’t forget it will need food and water just like you
• Steel can or bucket to use as an emergency toilet. Not to get too down-and-dirty here, but you gotta think about sanitation, especially if you live a few floors up in an apartment building or condo, where water won’t be able to reach you in the event of a prolonged power outage.
• Liquid bleach, household water purifying tablets and hand sanitizer (see steel can or bucket)
Sources: Toronto Hydro and City of Toronto
firstname.lastname@example.org | @nowtoronto