Detroit Eatery consumed by fire

Four-alarm blaze breaks out in basement of Greek diner popular with locals and Red Wings fans


A massive fire broke out early Tuesday morning (January 22) at Danforth and Chester inside Detroit Eatery (389 Danforth), a long-running, locally beloved diner famed for its collection of Detroit Red Wings memorabilia.

Crews spent hours battling the fire starting at 6:45 am, and the blaze was contained at around 10:30 am, fire officials said. The blaze was upgraded from a two-alarm fire to a four-alarm fire due to the difficulty of fire crews working in freezing, icy conditions. Officials said the fire started in the basement, and crews were forced to battle the fire by putting water through a hole into the floor.

IMG_20190122_124458.jpg

Natalia Manzocco

No one was injured, and the fire didn’t spread to neighbouring businesses, though they likely suffered water and smoke damage.

It’s not yet known if the business will be able to rebuild in this location, but a GoFundMe has already been set up to help owner Chris Antaras and his family get the restaurant back up and running.

@nataliamanzocco

Leave your opinion for the editor...We read everything!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *