Want to try going power-free for more than an hour?
• Buy or borrow crank flashlights and lanterns and long-lasting, petrol-free beeswax candles.
• Store your edible essentials in a critter-proof cooler outside. Put a blanket around fruits and veggies if the temp goes well below freezing.
• Get a four-wick Pheylonian survival beeswax candle. The single-wick version does heat water, but slowly.
• If you can’t handle ice-cold showers, leave a pitcher of water out overnight for sponge bathing. Plus, water conservation saves the city power (purifying H2O sops up tons of electricity).
• Minimize your meat consumption – it’s 20 times more energy-intensive than grains.
• Stock up on board games.