She wasn't born crafty, but she's trying really hard to get into this whole DIY thing - check out those leg warmers and try to question the commitment to her stitch 'n' bitch collective. Her homemade candles look like twisted soft-serve ice cream cones and her wobbly gingerbread house has serious structural integrity issues. Maybe one of these creative present picks will boost her dwindling do-it-yourself spirit.
1. Stash an arsenal of crafty tools in an oilcloth apron ($24.95, Winkel, 1107 Queen East, 416-465-4247).
2. If you can avoid the knots and tangles, Sparrow Kids owl bag kit stitches up into a cute felt purse ($31.95, Token, 888 Queen West, 416-516-9586).
3. Red Spruce horse-print top ($55, Freedom Clothing Collective, 939 Bloor West, 416-530-9946)
4. Grey winter leggings ($40, American Apparel, 499 Queen West, 416-703-5146, and others), blue-and-white-striped leg warmers ($17, Freedom Clothing Collective) and red satin ballet flats ($19, Joe Fresh, 10 Lower Jarvis, 416-703-4865, and others).
5. The Wacom Bamboo, a new line of Fun Pen tablets from the industry leader, is geared to mainstream computer users who want more accuracy when Photoshopping out their double chin in their Facebook photo ($219, Future Shop, 10 Dundas East, 2nd floor, 416-971-5377, and others, www.futureshop.ca).
6. Keep things clean with this stainless steel brush washer ($29.95, Curry's, 490 Yonge, 416-967-6666, and others).
7. Pick up a pack of project-inspiring back issues of the Worn fashion journal ($20, Winkel).
8. If all else fails, pass off Cleo Half Penny's festive fabric cat as your own holiday creation ($15, the Rage, 13 Kensington, 416-588-5177).