It's important to figure out just how sporty your giftee actually is before you race to snag him an hour of front crawl time with the Canadian swim team. A hardcore triathlete would swoon for a tricked-out new road cycle, while wishy-washier sportsters like our model here go out to play to show off the fashionable terry sweatband ($10, American Apparel, 499 Queen West, 416-703-5146, and others, www.americanapparel.net) and retro racket. Then there's the armchair athlete who's probably content with a few extra golf channels added to her cable subscription.
1. Drop this Olympus Stylus 790SW 7.1-megapixel shooter into a pool and it'll keep snapping pictures ($349, Henry's, 119 Church, 416-868-0872, www.henrys.ca).
2. Cozy your well worked-out feet in Mountain Equipment Co-op's insulated Hut Booties ($29, 400 King West, 416-340-2667, www.mec.ca).
3. Transition your tricycling tike onto LIKEaBIKE's wooden two-wheeler ($300, Urbane Cyclist, 180 John, 416-979-9733).
4. Take a break from channel surfing with a few reps of Neil Leifer's hefty Ballet In The Dirt: The Golden Age Of Baseball book ($540, Lileo, 55 Mill, building 35, 416-413-1410).
5. Classic gym wall silhouettes make for a fashionably sporty pair of rhodium-plated Cuffwear links ($64.95, Rolo, 24 Bellair, 416-920-0100).
6. Vintage team T-shirt ($10, 69 Vintage, 1100 Queen West, 416-516-0669).
7. Navy microfibre board shorts ($42) and striped tube socks ($10, both American Apparel).