Just cuz Gift Guide Number Three is our hump list (two more mini-guides will deliver last-minute tips right up to December 20) doesn’t mean we’ve been slacking. Some of our top style, eco and tech picks are part of this edition’s pages, so read (and shop) on!
Be a player
The pressure is on. Mr. Design Snoot here has a discerning eye, and nothing kitschy or crafty will do when he meticulously evaluates the aesthetic value of your gift. Does it enhance his dishevelled intellectual look (architect glasses and all) or earn a rare square foot of display space in his minimalist, modular shipping-container home? Probably not, but that doesn’t mean you should give up on style, Scrooge. Good intentions always look good, after all.
1. A full-sized Eames seat is a big investment for such a fussy giftee. Go mini with this micro Eiffel chair ($15, Magic Pony, 694 Queen West, 416-861-1684).
2. Cutler and Gross glasses ($390, Rapp Optical, 788 College 416-537-6590).
3. Navy blue viscose turtleneck ($100), black cotton track-style pants ($140, both M0851, 23 St. Thomas, 416-920-4001)
4. Puma McQueen high-tops ($349, Ukula, 492 College, 416-619-9282)
5. A pop of designer-approved orange accents the face of this Philippe Starck watch ($210, Rolo, 24 Bellair, 416-920-0100).
6. The whimsical shape of this parrot corkscrew is worth the cutesy risk ($60, Bergo, 55 Mill, building 47A, 416-861-1821).
7. Get him all juiced up with Mathew Birtch‘s glass lemon reamer ($98 each, MADE, 867 Dundas West, 416-607-6384).
8. The Oh chair, designed by Karim Rashid, comes in a rainbow of bold shades, including hot pink and purple. He wants black ($84, Umbra Concept Store, 165 John, 416-599-0088).