Photos by Peter Schafrick
1. Designed by Stefano Giovannoni, the Mandarin citrus squeezer from Alessi is not only functional but also adds a touch of kitsch to any kitchen (Studio Brilliantine, 10811/2 Queen West, 416-536-6521; 234 Bay, 416-304-1213; $80).
2. Decked out in bilious harvest gold, this hefty Orange-X OJex manual juicer proves that everything comes back in fashion eventually if you’re willing to wait long enough (Williams-Sonoma, 100 Bloor West, 416-962-8248, and others, $140).
3. Style guru Philippe Starck was inspired to create his limited-edition gold-plated aluminum Juicy Salif manual lemon squeezer for design concern Alessi while eating a plate of calamari in an Italian trattoria (Studio Brilliantine, $346).
4. Wedgwood has been knocking out china since the 50s – the 1750s. Here, the timeless brand moves into the 21st century with Nick Munro’s design for a classic juicer complete with a built-in strainer in its spout (Studio Brilliantine, $215).
5. Looking like something out of a butcher shop, Porkert Wheat Grass Juicer may be built to put the squeeze on the highly nutritional greens, but it also processes and removes the pulp from all types of fruit (Big Carrot, 348 Danforth, 416-466-2129, $59.99).
6. The Mighty OJ by Metrokane may be compact, but it delivers over 800 pounds of pressure with each squeeze. Dig that retro 50s design (High Tech, 106 Front East, 416-861-1069, $80).
7. Cuisinart’s utilitarian citrus juicer features a brushed stainless steel outer shell, drip-proof spout and “auto-reversing reamer and high-speed final spin” to help avoid any embarrassing situations (Tap Phong Trading, 360 Spadina, 416-977-6364, $35.99).
8. Made in France, this classic glass juicer gets all its power from elbow grease and also makes an attractive ashtray (Honest Ed’s, 581 Bloor West, 416-537-1574, $2.29).
9. This Dancer Super Juicer extracts orange, lime, lemon or grapefruit juice with a single pull of its slot-machine-like handle. Just the thing for a Rat Pack rec room bar (Nella, 433 Queen East, 416-847-1112, and others, $144).