English pop superstar/Academy Award-winning composer Elton John and Aussie DJ/SXSW darling Anna Lunoe might not seem to have a lot in common (except for the fact that they both play shows in Toronto this week, of course), but it turns out the entertainment world is small. We played six degrees of separation with the vet and the rookie, and uncovered some juicy links in between.
1) Elton John comes to town tonight (Thursday, February 6) to entertain the ACC (40 Bay) as only a piano-playing knight can do. ($59-$171, ACC, TM.)
2) Back in 2001, Sir Elton made headlines performing a duet with rapper Eminem at the Grammys, a surprising pairing given the latter's extremely LGBT-unfriendly lyrics. (Maybe the mayor will help out on Crocodile Rock tonight!)
3) Eminem, of course, recently topped the charts with Rihanna (for the second time) with The Monster, in which the Barbadian sings about befriending things under her bed. Follow Rihanna on Instagram: she never sleeps, so what does she even own a bed for? Something's fishy there.
4) Rihanna's most famous T.O. connection is her on-again, off-again maybe relationship with Drake. If one day they get married, we'll finally have a first couple of Commonwealth hip-hop!
5) Drake has been an instrumental figure in the rise of the Weeknd, promoting, collaborating and touring with Abel Tesfaye fairly steadily since 2011. Drake also tried to build up a different act called Casual Friday, but that failed miserably. Don't ask him about it.
6) Last time the Weeknd came through town in October, he had as his opener the talented Anna Lunoe, who hits the Drake Underground (1150 Queen West) Friday (February 7). I suppose playing on a Friday night is technically opening for the weekend again. (Doors 11 pm, $10, thedrakehotel.ca.)