Slim Twig is on the road and blogging it.
We just returned to Ross' parents house from jumping on hay stacks, and rip-roarin through beautiful rural Alberta. Ross is in his element, it's pretty awesome to hear him ripping out Alberta-isms and running around with a Smith & Wesson t-shirt.
I'll try and skip the boring show talk, and move along with more nuggets from the code of the road:
- I think it's worth mentioning that the last two shows have been really fucking great. Saskatoon in particular was surprisingly awesome. We played a confident set to a packed house, and sold some shit (gas money!). We hadn't really seen any young people walking on the streets of the city, but the house was full of them by the time we played. Sometimes a city can surprise you.
- Edmonton was also great, The Starlite is a really nice venue. Ross has been joining us on stage for our finale of 'Whiite Fantaseee' and we definitely played among the most demented versions of that song last night. It felt good.
- Sunn O)))'s Black One sounds completely out of place blaring from the Taurus as we cruise through the flat and sunny prairies...
- We stopped at another Husky's for breakfast. I had the most absurd serving of pancakes I've ever encountered (the menu referred to them as 'larger than large'), and promptly felt like shit. Siena totally dined and dashed, and Ross 'accidently' stole a pack of Wine Gums from the gas station. Lord save me, I am traveling with criminals. I fear for my life now when my sweet head hits the pillow...
- My best bud Tom is visiting the other side of the country. I had a very disjointed Facebook conversation with him the other morning... Funny how we both chose this month to hit the extreme ends of the country. BTW, I am a mere student of his epic bloggery. Do yourself a favour and peep this: tomdhenry.blogspot.com
- After our Edmonton show someone asked me if I was Slim Twig. 'I is him,' I replied. 'Oh right, the hillbilly musician,' he said. I immediately began to regret my poor choice of grammer.
- Sometimes my travel companions disappear and then return shortly with dilated pupils. What the fuck is going on? Am I missing something here??
- I peed publicly twice in Edmonton. I was in Edmonton for 6 hours.
- On the ride home from the show last night we ate some Oreo Cakesters (which have basically just sat in the car taking up space), and listened to Ross' recording of the set. The stars looked pretty incredible out the sun roof.
- Today we visited Namaka, Ross' real hometown (I should really refer to it as a homevillage) It was awesome. It looks exactly like the set of some badass western. Since we crossed the Alberta border we've taken to calling Ross 'Ol' Gillie.' (His last name is Gillard).
- We stopped at a Wal-Mart, Siena and I bought matching hoodies. Mine is blue, and is certainly the most colourful item of clothing I own... I don't imagine it will make it to the stage.
- Today I met a bald Albertan with a tattoo of the word 'hair' on the back of his head. I can't make this shit up.
Looking forward to driving through the mountains, and seeing what else Ol' Gillie can show us of his home province before we leave it.
Vancouver watch out.