Organizers plan to find alternate ways for revellers to support businesses in the area
The annual Halloween street party in the Church-Wellesley Village is the latest event to cancel due to COVID-19.
“In alignment with the Stage 3 Provincial Guidelines, the Church-Wellesley Village will not host a street event for Halloween on Church,” organizers said in a statement posted on social media.
Organizers say they plan to find alternative ways to support local businesses in the area.
The Church Street party is one of the biggest Halloween events in Toronto, attracting thousands of costumed revellers.
Many fall festivals and outdoor events have either cancelled or shifted online. Nuit Blanche, the annual all-night art party, is moving online this year.
Ontario is experiencing a resurgence in COVID-19 cases, but most new infections are concentrated in Toronto and the surrounding regions. The province reported 213 new infections on Friday, the highest number since July 21.
Earlier this week, Premier Doug Ford the idea of kids trick or treating this year made him nervous. But he added the government would “play it by ear” when it comes to issuing public health guidelines around Halloween.
The province’s Medical Officer of Health David Williams said on Thursday that public health officials have been discussing Halloween and it could still take place, likely with safety protocols.
On Tuesday, Health Minister Christine Elliott said the government has paused easing further pandemic lockdown measures due to the recent uptick in new cases.
The move means the province will not consider lifting caps on public gatherings or social circles for four weeks.
In alignment with the Stage 3 Provincial Guidelines, The Church-Wellesley Village will not host a street event for Halloween on Church. We will soon share safe alternative ways for us to connect.https://t.co/9qe5Q8g1Hk pic.twitter.com/KdpzetLAGo— The Village (@ChurchWellesley) September 11, 2020