Police and fire crews on the scene at 401 Queen Street West today.
Police, fire, and ambulance crews were marshaled earlier this morning on Queen Street, just west of Spadina Avenue.
Responding to a two-alarm fire raging on the third floor apartment above Jacob's Hardware at 410 Queen Street West, paramedics treated a 27-year old man who had been "severely burned" in the blaze, Toronto Fire Services District Chief Dan Sell told us earlier today.
"From preliminary investigation, from moving debris to find the point of origin, we found it to be in the corner of a bedroom, located in the middle of the third floor," said Sell. "It appears to be overheated wiring from a power cord."
When Sell arrived on the scene around 6:20 am, emergency crews were already attending to the badly-burned male beside the historic Cameron Public House. He has been taken to Sunnybrook hospital for further treatment.
Sell heard no smoke detectors or alarms when he arrived on scene. But he believes that the panel supplying power to the hardwired detectors had been tripped by the fire itself. The bulk of the damage was to the third floor, though Sell noted that the fire did burn through the floor. "The hardware store did not sustain a lot of damage," he says. "Maybe a little water that came through."