Public health officials record another spike, but the number of active cases have dropped
Ontario reported 133 new COVID-19 infections on September 2, but active cases have dropped.
“With 137 more resolved there is a decrease in the number of active cases,” Health Minister Christine Elliott said. “Locally, 29 of Ontario’s 34 public health units are reporting five or fewer cases, with 21 of them reporting no new cases.
Medical labs in the province completed more than 24,000 tests in the past 24 hours.
However, the number is the second highest daily increase since July.
The province reported 112 new cases on Tuesday, 114 on Monday, 112 on Sunday, 148 on Saturday – the highest increase since July 24 – and 122 on Friday.
Earlier this week, Ontario’s Chief Medical Officer Dr. David Williams said recent spikes in new cases are due to people gathering in large groups and some workplace clusters.
On Monday, Toronto’s Medical Officer of Health Eileen de Villa called a resurgence in COVID-19 infections this fall “inevitable,” and urged Torontonians to continue following health and safety protocols.
Once again, the Greater Toronto Area had the largest increases in new cases. Toronto reported 42 new infections, Peel Region had 34, York confirmed 15 and Durham had six.
No new deaths have been reported since yesterday. There are 60 patients in hospital, including 13 in intensive care and 9 on ventilators.
To date, Ontario has confirmed 42,554 cases. Of those, 38,506 are resolved and 2,812 have died.
The following regions reported five or more COVID-19 cases:
Toronto = 43
Peel Region = 34
York Region = 15
Ottawa = 12
Durham Region = 6
Simcoe Muskoka = 5
Waterloo = 5
City of Hamilton = 5