One week after Hadag Nachash, an anti-terror Israeli hip-hop group, played the Israel@60 jam at Ricoh Coliseum, an anti-occupation Palestinian rap group called DAM rolls into El Mocambo tonight (Thursday, May 15).
The Israeli group was feted with a slick promotional push and big party, playing for a world leader in a giant downtown venue. Their Palestinian counterparts are slumming it for one night only in a Chinatown club with virtually no notice (unless you read Democracy NOW! Web updates).
Allegorical to their respective positions in the Middle East, no?
Further analysis (while being careful not to promote a hip-hop beef on top of the ongoing polical one) shows a few other interesting contrasts:
- Means 'snake fish' in Hebrew
- Received international attention for Sticker Song, which uses bumper-sticker slogans in Israel (“The Left Helps Arabs,” and “Don’t Give Them Weapons”)
- Endorsement (implicit?) from film producer and Israel@60 host Ivan Reitman
- Means 'blood' in Arabic (and also 'Da Arabic Mcees' in English)
- Received international attention for Who’s the Terrorist?, a gritty song about perceived Israeli war crimes, the occupation and various invasions (posted above)
- Endorsement from Mountain Goats John Darnielle
If only they played the same night...