Now that the 2013-2014 stage season is wrapping up, it's time to hand out awards. The Toronto Theatre Critics' Awards take place on Monday (June 2), and earlier that day the Dora Mavor Moore Awards nominations are announced. (The ceremony itself takes place on June 23.).
But the first ceremony out of the gate is the Harolds, named after late theatre fan (and frequent heckler) Harold Kandel. The 20th edition of the alternative-theatre bash happened Monday night, May 26, and judging by the tweets coming from @HaroldAwards, it was a glam night.
In fact, everyone who attended the ceremony at the back patio of the Cadillac Lounge had to enter through an alleyway next to a garbage bin with a sign saying "Glamorous" over it. Red carpet pictures were taken next to two cooking oil drums, and that carpet actually consisted of two red towels.
The list of honourees, named after winners of the inaugural ceremony two decades ago, is below. Nina Lee Aquino was clearly surprised at her win, allegedly screaming, "I can't believe it! I'm wearing the wrong shoes!"
As the Harolds' Richard Lee emailed me, a special "one time only, never to be done again 20th anniversary award" went to Obsidian Theatre Company's artistic director Philip Akin. Because Akin's currently at the Shaw Festival, the Harolds made a video of him receiving the award, but it failed to play. Here it is:
- House of Paul Bettis: Maria Vacratsis
- House of Luther Hansraj: Bran Ramsey (2014 People's Choice)
- House of Kirsten Johnson: Jennifer Triemstra-Johnston
- House of Sherrie Johnson: Rupal Shah
- House of Jacoba Knaapen: Laura Pomeroy
- House of Daniel MacIvor: Mumbi Tindyebwa
- House of Don McKellar: Ryan Kelly
- House of Darren O'Donnell: Grant Cowan
- House of Alex Poch-Goldin: Aislinn Rose
- House of Nadia Ross: Zis Parras
- House of Lisa Ryder: William Blake Thorne
- House of Sarah Stanley: Nina Lee Aquino
- House of Deanne Taylor: McCowan Thomas // Claire Calnan
- Ken McDougall Award: Gein Wong
- Barbara Fingerote Award: Vicki Wright
- 20th Anniversary Harold: Philip Akin