Stand out in a sea of discreetly dark holiday cocktail frocks wearing tonal party dresses and glittering emerald-green accessories. Toronto's Ewanika and Comrags both offer pieces in unique textiles with luxe textures, while Paris label Balenciaga makes a modern statement in snake jacquard wool.
Ewanika Annika dress in black grid wool double knit ($440), Alexis Bittar earrings ($250) and
Judith Leiber clutch ($5,445, both Holt Renfrew), vintage rhinestone bracelet ($38, Cabaret), Louboutin heels with bow details ($300, I Miss You).
Comrags Lawrence dress in swirl print ($325), Cara Accessories clip-on earrings ($60), Alan Anderson bracelet ($1,385), Manolo Blahnik green satin heels ($965, all Holt Renfrew), vintage belt ($25, I Miss You).
Balenciaga dress ($1,745), Anzie earrings ($1,950), Cara Accessories bracelet ($115), Marchesa clutch ($3,425) and Roger Vivier heels with bow details ($975, all Holt Renfrew).
Missoni bear and elephant benefiting OrphanAid Africa ($50 each, Holt Renfrew)
Ela Chibi Lady bag in mirror stud ($478)
Jet set special
Globe-Trotter Centenary 33-inch extra-deep suitcase with wheels ($2,122, jcrew.com)
Donatella Pellini agate, garnet, crystal and quartz necklace ($1,100, Rue Pigalle)
Roots Aspen sheepskin boots (also available in black, orange, white and red, $498)
Grace: A Memoir, by Grace Coddington
You don't need a platinum card to look like you really know what you're gifting the serious fashionista on your list. Just pick up the hottest style read of the season, Grace, the new memoir by Vogue creative director Grace Coddington. The seasoned stylist, who rose to popular fame in R.J. Cutler's documentary The September Issue, traces her career from a romantic childhood on an isolated island off the coast of Wales through her modelling days in swinging 60s London to the fantasy shoots she focuses on today. Chapters are peppered with charming illustrations of her industry peers and favourite images from her life in front of and behind the camera. $45, Indigo.
You can't go wrong giving your favourite stylephile a statement accessory.
1. We're crazy for vintage cat-eye frames. Every pair in this spread is sourced from Opticianado ($260 to $320).
2. How can you not be a fan of this deep turquoise cap by Toronto milliner Lilliput ($140)? Vintage Dries Van Noten blouse ($95, I Miss You).
3. A trio of bow details accent each hand of this vintage-inspired pair of purple gloves ($55, Danier). Vintage Miss D by Oscar de la Renta blouse ($95 including matching skirt, I Miss You).
4. Maryam Keyhani's contemporary take on the classic pearl necklace is accented with a pleated swatch of kelly green silk ($500, Holt Renfrew). Vintage Milly sweater ($85) and earrings (used throughout, $25, both I Miss You).
5. A double-faced watch like Rotary's unisex Evolution lets you switch things up on the hour ($995, Right Time Jewellers). Vintage striped dress ($249, Magwood).
For store information, see our BUZZ Gift Guide Retailer Index.
Additional photography by David Hawe
Makeup and hair by Claudine Baltazar using Climate Control Finishing Spray for TRESemmé Hair Care/Benefit Cosmetics/Plutino Group
Fashion assistant: Stefania Yarhi
Models: Angela at Ford Models and Stephen at B&M Models