There are the no-brainer big-ticket shows at this year's CMW: reunited alt weirdos Faith No More, NOW cover star Joey Bada$$, constant-party King Tuff, dream-poppers Alvvays, tried-and-true singer/songwriters Ron Sexsmith and Daniel Lanois. But don't miss out on discovering newbies - or new-to-youbies. In addition to our CMW features, here are 10 more suggestions.
1. TRE MISSION Fast-rising Toronto MC/producer with speedy delivery and an original mix of rap, jungle, dubstep, house, dancehall, grime and more. Friday (May 1), 12:30 am, at the Rivoli (334 Queen West), $10.
2. ZOOBOMBS Dan Burke-approved Tokyo psych punk that never fails to seriously entertain. Friday and Saturday (May 1 and 2), midnight, at the Silver Dollar (486 Spadina), $10.
3. ANNA OXYGEN Olympia electro-pop singer/songwriter with a penchant for multimedia visuals. Sunday (May 3), 9 pm, at the Garrison (1197 Dundas West), $15.
4. LÅPSLEY Liverpool ambient electronic musician with a new EP, Understudy. Tuesday (May 5), 8 pm, at the Drake Underground (1150 Queen West), $15.
5. DIRTY FRIGS Blankets of sludge and garage rock outta Toronto. Tuesday (May 5), 11:15 pm, at the Garrison (1197 Dundas West), $10; and Saturday (May 9), 1 am, at Burdock (1184 Bloor West), $10.
6. POST MALONE L.A.-via-Dallas singer/rapper/producer behind the viral single White Iverson. Wednesday (May 6), 11 pm, at the Mod Club (722 College), $20.
7. FAIZA Toronto R&B-tinged hip-hop influenced by Aaliyah, Jill Scott and everything in between. Wednesday (May 6), 10 pm, Tattoo (567 Queen West), $15.
8. HARRISON Teenaged beatmaker with sun-kissed melodies, laid-back beats, chiptune surprises and electronic textures. Thursday (May 7), midnight, at Studio Bar (824 Dundas West), $10.
9. GOLD LAKE Brooklyn/Madrid trio making gorgeous, shimmering hook-heavy pop. Thursday (May 7), 9 pm, Drake Underground (1150 Queen West), $12.
10. BO NINGEN Acid-touched Japanese psych rock. Friday (May 8), 9:45 pm, at Hard Luck Bar (772A Dundas West), $15; and Saturday (May 9), midnight, Bovine Sex Club (542 Queen West), $15.