Councillor Giorgio Mammoliti says he doesn't want any "communists" surfing the Facebook page he's set up for the so-called "silent majority" who couldn't be bothered to show up to speak in support of service cuts at that mother of all executive meetings a couple of weeks back.
But Giorgio shouldn't be so quick with the McCarthy routine. Pretty soon people will start pointing the finger and calling him a commie. I mean, he is a former NDP MPP, right?
Mammo's political blotter is chock full of signs he's a closet Red, not that there's anything wrong with that, of course. Here are 10 just off the top of my head.
1. Let's start with the oh-so obvious. Besides that NDP start in politics, Mammo was also, shock and horror, a CUPE union leader - a fact he still proudly announces on his LinkedIn profile. Gotta be a Commie, then.
2. He loves bike-riding pinkos. That's right. When Mammo was just the member from York West in the Miller regime, he defended bike lanes on Jarvis - on the floor of council, no less, in what observers have characterized as an impassioned, if sometimes confusing, speech. He also wants to license cyclists, like any good Commie into more state control would.
3. Mammo has a nom de guerre. He used to call himself George before opting for the more culturally correct Giorgio. Like any good thinking socialist worried about the state of the planet and his/her place in it, Mammo has always struggled, it seems, with his true identity.
4. He's visited China. And brought back a couple of giant pandas as a gift from the People's Republic - that's right, the largest Communist outpost on the planet - as chair of the Toronto Zoo.
5. He wants to save gorillas, which is close enough to guerillas, the viva la revolucion kind, to make you wonder.
6. The councillor opposes same-sex marriage. So did the Cuban brand of Communism, which used to view homosexuality as a consequence of "capitalist sociality."
7. Mammoliti is a big booster of make-work projects. He's been pushing a $8-million flagpole project down the throats of businesses in his ward who don't want any part of it, for nearly a decade.
8. He takes campaign donations from strip club owners and visits gentleman's clubs from time to time to listen to owners' business concerns. The clubs are providing worthwhile employment opportunities for many women from the Eastern Bloc. Very proletarian of Giorgio.
9. We all know how totalitarian Communists can be and how much they love pushing their militarism. Mammoliti is no different. Among his more inspired ideas, the councillor has advocated arming bylaw enforcement officers to crackdown on postering and graffiti, (thought control?) and bringing in the army to fight crime.
10. Last but not least, Mammo supports legalized prostitution - just like the pro-prostitution mafia in Russia, and we all know there are a few Communists there.