Mayor Rob Ford interrupted a marathon meeting of his executive committee on Monday afternoon to deliver a statement on the deadly explosions that rocked the Boston Marathon earlier in the day.
Calling the events a "tragic and shocking crime," Ford said that he had contacted his counterpart in Boston to offer assistance and indicated that Toronto's police force is monitoring the situation here. Toronto police don't believe there is an elevated security risk, he said.
According to reports from Massachusetts, at least two people were killed in the blasts and dozens more were injured.
The full text of Ford's statement is below:
On behalf of all members of Toronto city council and every resident of Toronto, I'd like to convey our deepest sympathies to the victims of this afternoon's explosions in Boston.
This tragic and shocking crime defies our imagination. This afternoon my office reached out to the Boston mayor Thomas Menino to offer any assistance and support that we can give.
I've spoken with the police Chief Bill Blair and City Manager Joe Pennachetti to ensure that Toronto is as well prepared as possible.
Police report that there is no immediate threat to the city but we are going to continue monitoring the situation to make sure the residents of this great city are protected and safe.
The city manager is working with all division heads and city emergency services to ensure any upcoming public events are reassessed and remain as safe and secure as possible.
Folks, that's all I can say right now. Our thoughts and our prayers are with the people of Boston, especially those [affected] by this terrible, terrible incident.
There were over 200 Toronto residents participating in the marathon today in Boston.
City manager Joe Pennachetti added that city staff would work with police to reassess security for upcoming events to ensure that "all security will be appropriate for those public events."
The executive committee is hearing public deputations on plans to build a new casino in downtown Toronto.