1. Responding to the bad press about posture-damaging knapsacks, Obusforme has stepped up with the easy-on-the-chiro-bills Wapella knapsack ($64.99, Bentley , 50 Bloor West, 416-922-5482).
2. Another killer Karim Rashid design, Umbra's shiny neoprene Triblob backpack ($119.99, High-Tech , 106 Front East, 416-861-1069) features two reversible accessory pods, plus strap pockets for your MP3 player or cell.
3. Mountain Equipment Co-op 's New Deluxe Bookbag Daypack ($39, 400 King West, 416-340-2667) comes with an internal holster to prevent your laptop from hitting the ground when you crash.
4. Not unlike the sac de jour of our prepped-out 80s predecessors, Le Sportsac's basic nylon backpack ($102, Accessories by Eva , 402 Eglinton West, 416-481-0892) comes with a signature mini-pouch for stashing pens, makeup or, um, your stash.
5. When attendance isn't even pencilled into your school agenda, stop the academic charade with a bag - like this lilac number by Parcel ($49, Te Koop , 421 Queen West, 416-348-9485 ) - that reflects the truant rocker within.