Launching at the end of this month, The Organic Makeup Company (www.organicmakeup.ca) is a local manufacturer of petroleum-, synthetics- and animal-free cosmetics. Esther (above) is wearing wet/dry eyeshadow in Sapphire ($9), blushing powder in Natural Mauve ($9), lip colour in Brick Red ($10) plus concealer ($11) and face powder ($18) in Medium Beige.
1. Dr. Hauschka products such as lipstick in Fortissimo (the Big Carrot, 348 Danforth, 416-466-2129, $32.99) and black mascara ($29.99) are the holistic equivalent of trop cher designer cosmetics.
2. Sans toxic nastiness or eye-watering odours, these water-based nail polishes (the Wholesome Market, 2234 Queen East, 416-690-9500, $7.99) from Guelph-based Suncoat, are free of toluene, formaldehyde, alcohol, acetone, acetate and FD&C dye!
3. In hues from vanilla to chocolate, Ecco Bella’s Natural Foundation SPF 15 (Big Carrot, $29.49) boasts sheer water-based coverage and rich, flower-wax-enriched colour.
4. Lemon-juicy, hair-shining goodness: Cynthia Sylvia Stout shampoo and Veganese conditioner (Lush, 312 Queen West, 416-599-5874, and others, $7.25-$21 each for 100-500 ml).
5. Prolong your wrinkle-reduced days with Face Protector SPF 30 from the Matter Company, which, by the way, is a Toronto-based natural skincare outfit (Ma Zone, 473A Church, 416-934-4900, $15).
6. Go for colour with Lavera’s Kajal eyeliner in “No.3” (Big Carrot, $17.99).
7. If you don’t like the feeling of wearing foundation but like a greasy face even less, blot your oils away with Wings Of Love powdered facial tissues (Noah’s, 322 Bloor West, 416-968-7930, $5.29). Simple ingredients: rice paper and cornstarch. Or, for perfect blending, try Vanishing Facial Powder (Whole Foods Market, 87 Avenue Road, $26.29); it suits all skin types. Both from Burt’s Bees.
8. Customize your cosmetic colour scheme with Ecco Bella’s mix-and-match Paperback Flowercolor duo compact (Big Carrot, shadows $11, blush $14), shown here with powdered eyeliner in Charcoal, eyeshadow in Vanilla, blush in Burgundy Rose.
9. Strictly Roots lip gloss (Strictly Roots, 159 Gerrard East, 416-757-1024, $5) is made from yummy almond oil and cocoa butter.