Juice on the apple juice industry
- Increasingly, juices on supermarket shelves labelled “Product of Canada’’ contain key ingredients produced in China, including much of the concentrate in our so-called local apple juice.
Squeezing the label
- It may say “Product of Canada” on the label, but that doesn’t mean the ingredients are. As long as 51 per cent of production costs are incurred here, it’s okay to claim it’s Canadian.
- Canada imported some 22 million litres of apple juice products from China in 2006.
- Since 2003, apple juice imports from China have increased 69 per cent.
- Worldwide, China’s apple juice exports increased 250 per cent between 2000 and 2004.