Doug Ford: Toronto and Peel entering lockdown on November 23

Non-essential retail, shopping malls, gyms and personal services must close, but schools and doctors' offices will stay open


Toronto and Peel will enter into lockdown just after midnight on November 23, Premier Doug Ford said on Friday.

“The situation is extremely serious and further action is required to avoid the worst case scenario,” he said during a Queen’s Park press briefing. “In certain parts of the province, it’s spreading at an alarming rate in the community.”

Non-essential retail, personal services, gyms, cinemas and outdoor dining must close, but schools, child-care, pharmacies and doctors’ and dentist offices will remain open.

Effective at 12:01 am on Monday, the following lockdown measures will be in effect in Toronto and Peel:

  • Schools, before and after school programs, and child care will remain open;
  • Post-secondary schools open for virtual learning with some limited exceptions for training that can only be provided in-person, such as clinical training or training related to a trade;
  • No indoor organized public events or social gatherings except with members of the same household. Individuals who live alone, including seniors, may consider having exclusive, close contact with one other person;
  • Outdoor organized public events or social gatherings limited to a maximum of 10 people;
  • Wedding services, funeral services and religious services, rites or ceremonies where physical distancing can be maintained can have up to 10 people indoors or 10 people outdoors;
  • Retail permitted to be open for curbside pick-up or delivery only, with certain exceptions such as for supermarkets, grocery stores, pharmacies, hardware stores, discount and big box retailers selling groceries, beer, wine and liquor stores, safety supply stores, and convenience stores, which will be allowed to operate at 50 per cent capacity;
  • Restaurants, bars, and food and drink establishments will only be able to provide takeout, drive-through and delivery. Indoor and outdoor dining services are prohibited;
  • Personal care services closed;
  • Casinos, bingo halls and other gaming establishments closed; and
  • Indoor sports and recreational facilities, including pools, closed with limited exceptions.

For said that, in the past week, COVID-19 hospitalizations have increased by 22 per cent across the province and intensive care admissions have grown 50 per cent.

He added that Scarborough Health Network has already started delaying surgeries and other hospitals are “teetering on the edge of having to delay scheduled surgeries.”

The premier also pleaded that Ontarians avoid the kind of panic shopping that emptied store shelves of things like toilet paper and hand sanitizer during the first lockdown in the spring.

“Please avoid panic buying right now. There’s no need to buy more than you need for a week or two,” he said.

Last week, Ford announced stricter measures as part of the province’s COVID-19 warning framework that moved several jurisdictions into the red and orange levels. With case counts continuing to climb, he warned on Wednesday that a lockdown was imminent in Toronto, Peel and York.

York Region public health officials asked earlier this week to remain in the red zone. Durham Region and Waterloo will also move into red on November 23.

Huron Perth, Simcoe-Muskoka, Southwestern, Windsor-Essex will move into orange.

Chatham Kent, Eastern Ontario, Grey Bruce, Kingston, Frontenac and Lennox & Addington, Peterborough and Thunder Bay will move to yellow in the COVI9-19 framework.

The regions will remain in these levels for a minimum of 28 days. Officials will review public health data on a weekly basis, the government said.

The province is making an additional $300 million – for a total of $600 million – in relief available next week to help businesses in lockdown or the red zone with fixed costs like hydro bills and property taxes.

Health Minister Christine Elliott also said the government is amending regulation 950 under the Provincial Offences Act to allow local public health officers of health to issue tickets if local measures are not followed.

The province is working with the chief justice of Ontario to create an order to establish a set fine of $750 for any ticket issued.

“We’ve seen the situation continue to worsen,” Elliott said. “It’s clear more needs to be done to limit community transmission of COVID-19 so we can keep our schools open, safeguard our health system capacity and safeguard our most vulnerable.”

Earlier in the week, Toronto Mayor John Tory and Chief Medical Officer Dr. Eileen de Villa had also recommended the province undertake stricter measures in the city.

De Villa has already prohibited indoor dining and fitness classes and shut down casinos, bingo halls and event spaces under Section 22 of provincial legislation.

At a press briefing at city hall on Friday, Mayor John Tory said he supports the lockdown measures for Toronto.

“The numbers continue to go in the wrong direction despite the city of Toronto having the strictest existing measures in the province,” he said. “Please stay home. Please stay home because it is the right thing to do.”

Tam reports grim COVID-19 projections

Ontario reported another 1,418 COVID-19 cases on Friday as federal health authorities released new data predicting a huge surge in infections by the end of the year if stricter measures are not implemented.

Canada’s Chief Public Health Officer Theresa Tam warned the country could see 60,000 new cases per day by the end of December if Canadians do not lower the number of people they come in contact with.

Tam released grim projection modelling data for the country that showed infection rates rapidly increasing nation-wide, well past the current average of 4,800 cases and 70 deaths per day.

She said it’s up to both Canadians and public health officials to act to prevent spread, but added there’s still a chance Canada can avoid an epidemic trajectory similar to theEuropean countries currently in lockdown.

“Absolutely do not go above what we have now,” Tam said during a press briefing in Ottawa. “Otherwise, we’re really in trouble.”

@nowtoronto

Comments (2)

  • Dawn November 20, 2020 06:00 PM

    Seems they forgot something. Federal government allowed 5 million travellers into Canada recently and they did not have to self isolate. Now how many were carriers and we Ontario are paying the price for Travel and international travellers that have come through our airports. We are penalized for the Federal government lack of enforcement.

  • Rena Granofsky November 20, 2020 09:58 PM

    NYC has implemented a very targeted system whereby outbreaks are addressed by city blocks, in concentric circles, with isolation and contact tracing focused on the outbreak block(s) and not the entire city. Can we implement a similar approach?

Leave your opinion for the editor...We read everything!

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *