
What to know
- A march for 19-year-old Kaleym Davy is planned for Saturday, Aug. 22, in Toronto.
- Davy was killed during a police-involved shooting in Mississauga on Aug. 6, according to the SIU.
- His family has launched a GoFundMe to help cover funeral expenses, legal fees and representation.
- The SIU says one officer discharged their firearm into a vehicle after three unmarked police vehicles collided with it.
A march is being planned this weekend for a 19-year-old Toronto man who was killed in a police-involved shooting in Mississauga earlier this month.
Kaleym Davy was shot and killed following an interaction with Toronto police on Delfi Road in Mississauga on Aug. 6, according to his family.
A march in Davy’s memory is now planned for Saturday, Aug. 22, according to a social media post shared by his aunt.
The march is scheduled to begin at 1 p.m., although organizers have not publicly disclosed the location. The family is asking those who want to attend to contact organizers directly for the location.
The march comes as Davy’s family continues to call for answers surrounding his death and raises money through a GoFundMe campaign.
The fundraiser has a public goal of $45,000, while the family says its overall goal is $100,000. The money will go toward funeral and burial expenses, as well as legal fees and representation as the family considers pursuing legal action.
“Our goal is not only to give Kaleym the farewell he deserves, but also to help family find answers and pursue justice,” the GoFundMe says.
“Losing a child is something no family should ever have to experience. His smile, kindness, friendships, and the joy Kaleym brought to those around him will always be remembered.”
As of publication, the fundraiser had collected close to $9,000.
What the SIU says happened
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the police-involved shooting.
According to the SIU, shortly before 12:30 a.m. on Aug. 6, Toronto police officers located a Mercedes that had been reported stolen in Toronto the previous day. The vehicle was tracked to Delfi Road, near The Collegeway and Winston Churchill Boulevard in Mississauga.
The SIU says an interaction followed, during which three unmarked police vehicles collided with the Mercedes. Four people were inside the Mercedes at the time.
During the incident, one officer discharged their firearm into the vehicle, striking the driver. The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The three other occupants were taken into custody, while one police officer was taken to hospital with minor injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to the investigation.
The circumstances surrounding the shooting remain under investigation.
